Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 22.04 Background Services are Safe to Disable + Login Screen Turns Black

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: What 22.04 Background Services are Safe to Disable + Login Screen Turns Black

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    Sorry, I mispoke, it's Control-Alt-F1 through F7. You may need to hold the Function (Fn) key on your keyboard to access the F keys.
    May have been F3 that brought me to a prompt login. Logged in ... now am at a prompt and don't know what to do next?!?!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: What 22.04 Background Services are Safe to Disable + Login Screen Turns Black

From my previous (same) issue, see URL at first post;

Posted by MAFOElfen
    Nvidia 390 is no longer supported by NVidia, but is still being patched by the Ubuntu Graphics Team. My Lenovo Thinkpad T520 uses this driver...

Try this:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install -y nvidia-graphics-drivers-390
    I get this "Unable to locate package nvidia-grahics-drivers-390". Used "nvidia-driver-390" instead and received same Dpkg Error Code (1) from previous failure (see post #9).

Still can't boot, still at prompt.
    Last edited by Rick St. George; 2 Days Ago at 11:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Semi followed instructions found here - https://www.stephenwagner.com/2019/0...grade-install/

At the prompt edited Grub, Removed quiet and splash and added nomodeset. Update Grub and Rebooted.

Computer boots up but ONLY to 1 monitor and the resolution is not right (1024x768) and cannot change it. What does this mean that it won't recognize my 2nd monitor???
    Any ideas???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rick St. George View Post
    Any ideas???
    Nothing constructive, just that nVidia sucks.

About 2 yrs ago, I removed nVidia from my last system here. Things are so much easier. In my situation, the iGPU in a Ryzen 5600G is faster than the nvidia 1030 GT. And I'm able to encode hevc and h.264 videos using the iGPU, unlike with the 1030. The HW-Encoding is fast, but the quality kinda sucks. Only useful for real-time transcoding, when needed for different devices. For any archival, handbrake CPU transcoding is much higher quality and lower file size, but takes about 3x longer.

I suppose of your needs require $1000+ nvidia, and you earn a living with those GPUs, then anything less isn't a consideration. But for middle-of-the-road and low-end GPUs, there's just no need for nvidia and the hassles seem to happen every few months. That was my experience since around 2012-ish. I'd been using nvideo since the early 2000s. When they dropped support for my 7200gs and only the F/LOSS drivers were available in 2016, I knew nvidia was just like all other proprietary software vendors.
    Last edited by TheFu; 1 Day Ago at 02:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

What happens when you run "startx" at the command line prompt atfter logging in?

Beans
    Hidden!

NVIDIA doesn't suck.

I just built a high performance computer with an RTX 4090 graphics card.

Ubuntu 24 worked out of the box without as much as needing to install one additional driver.

If you're doing any sort of ML development, you will want NVIDIA.

If you're on a budget and want to play decent games, AMD is fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

currentshaft, Good that you have a $1500+ GPU. Enjoy. The most I've ever spent on a GPU was $130 and that was for a 3dfx model.
    I had nvidia GPUs for about 15 yrs, so my thoughts that "nvidia sucks" isn't without some basis.

BTW, I've never personally spent more than $1000 on a full computer, much less just a GPU. I bought my first computer in the 1980s. Before that, I use my parent's x86 clone or the school's different computers. My first $real_job post-University was as a computer programmer.

In 2012, Linus said, "NVIDIA is the Single Worst Company We've Ever Dealt With"
    Ref: https://www.techpowerup.com/167855/n...linus-torvalds

In 2012, I wasn't really having issues, but that time would come. I have a perfectly good GeForce 7200 gs and a 430GT Tell me how to make either work on Ubuntu 24.04 at 1920x1200, please. Since nVidia dropped support, their proprietary drivers have not worked. That's my definition of SUCK. The F/LOSS drivers only support 768p resolutions, at least at the time and for over 4 yrs. Then I gave up trying.

Ok, I'll amend my statement, "nVidia sucks for all uses, except high-end needs where the GPU costs 3x more than the rest of the computer".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by currentshaft View Post
    What happens when you run "startx" at the command line prompt atfter logging in?
    Code:
    ms7640:~$ startx

/usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap: Only console users are allowed to run the X server
    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: server error
    Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console.
    Note: I am the Only User and with Administrator rights.

This issue may have to do with installation of VirtualBox ... as others see here have the same problem!?!? So... should this moved to VIRTUALIZATION category?

I need to make sure before I pay $100+ for another GPU. This one worked fine for a Decade with UbuntuStudio v18.04 and 20.04.
    I'm inclined to believe it is a Software problem (maybe v22.04), either with VirtualBox and/or Nvidia, and not a Hardware problem (I just replaced 10yr old SSD).

Note Build:
    Mobo - MSI 990FXA-GD65 Military Hardened (not overclocked) set for UEFI Boot (confirmed)
    CPU - AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8 Core
    GPU - ASUS GeForce GT610 2GB DDR3 Ram in PCIe x16 slot
    PSU - 450 Watt Enermax Gold
    RAM - 2 X 8GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 Mhz
    OS - UbuntuStudio-64 v22.04 LTS
    Last edited by Rick St. George; 12 Hours Ago at 11:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12